Chai Tea Latte by Alisa's Garden Blog
Fall seems to be the perfect season for this spicy and warming take on a chai tea latte. Alisa from Alisa's Garden Blog adds fresh turmeric and ginger to boost the micro-nutrients and inflammatory reducing properties of this bold and spicy beverage. This turmeric collagen chai tea is also extremely healing for your gut. The turmeric and black pepper work together to reduce inflammation and the collagen soothes the gut lining all while providing about 11g of pure protein to this beverage. Alisa used our DI ORO grater to freshly grate the turmeric and ginger root into the steeping spices. She also used or small spatula to mix the water + spice blend as it brewed on the stop top.
1 TBS whole cloves
1 TBS whole all spice berries
1 TBS whole star anise
1 TBS whole cardamom pods
1 TBS whole black pepper corns
1 TBS whole pink peper corns
1 cinnamon stick or 1 TBS ground cinnamon
1 TBS freshly grated ginger
1 TBS freshly grated turmeric root
6 cups of water
6-8 ounces of macadamia milk
1 scoop of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
1 TBS raw honey
- Place whole spices in a spice grinder or vitamix or food processor and blend until they are coarsely ground.
- Add the ground spices to 6 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Use a fine grater to grate fresh ginger and turmeric root into the water + spice mixture.
- Bring the spice mix to a simmer for approximately 10 minutes stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool for about 15-20 minutes.
- Use a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth to strain out the spices and pour into a mason jar for storage.
- This is a highly concentrated mixture of spices at this point. Also referred to as a "decoction." It is very strong and potent and you will want to use a smaller amount to make your tea in the following steps.
- Use about 2 ounces or more for a stronger flavor in a mug.
- Pour about 2-4 ounces hot water over the spices in your mug to dilute and make the concentrate more of a tea.
- Melt about 1 TBS of honey if you like for sweetness.
- Heat macadamia milk on stove top or in a milk frother with 1 scoop of collagen peptides. Blend as needed to melt the collagen.
- Top with the steamed macadamia milk + collagen froth or a milk of your choice for a creamy latte-like turmeric chai tea.